
If you had to fill in that blank, what would you say?
Probably "whale" right?
Well in my reading and studying of Jonah 1 and 2 as part of the #SheSharesTruth this week, I've picked up on several different parts of the book that had never made their way to any felt board I've ever been shown.
In fact, I'll admit that when I first saw that they wanted us to spend time in Jonah for the next two weeks, I found myself thinking, "well, what about the PSALMS?! Jonah's just about a guy who gets swallowed by a giant fish."
I had no idea what Jonah was about.
And those girls at SheReadsTruth know what they're doing.
This book is good. Real good. And just like last week in my reading of Psalm 38, God met me where I was at and low and behold, He taught me some things.
And I think what the Lord wanted me to really grasp from this scripture this week is that He pursues us.
---------------------------
To summarize...
God had asked Jonah to go to Nineveh and preach to the people in the city because they were being wicked.
Jonah, thinking he could just sail away from God and be outside earshot of His commands, instead got on a boat headed in the opposite direction.
God sent a huge storm with waves towering over the ship Jonah was on threatening to kill all the men aboard.
Jonah finally comes up from his deep slumber in the bottom of the boat and confesses to all of them that he had been disobedient to his God, the God of heaven who made sea and land. Jonah suggested they throw him overboard, but instead the men - not wanting to be responsible for his death - tried rowing back to shore.
When that didn't work, they hurled him into the sea, and would you know...."the sea ceased from its raging." (Jonah 1:15 ESV)
I love what the Message translation of the next verse (v. 16) is:
"The sailors were impressed, no longer terrified by the sea, but in awe of God. They worshiped God, offered a sacrifice, and made vows."
(I'd be impressed too.)
So then God assigned/prepared/appointed/commanded (all different versions) a large fish to swallow Jonah up.
---------------------------
And this is where the story took on a whole new meaning for me.
Jonah didn't just get thrown into a raging sea, swallowed by a fish conveniently swimming nearby, and given a comfy free ride to dry land. Instead, we learn in Jonah 2: 1-9 how much he suffered as the result of his disobedience to God. Being thrown about and realizing he was forever going to be separated from the Lord, he sank to what he called a watery grave deep into the heart of the seas. The waters closed over and choked him, he became entangled in seaweed, and he went down to the roots of the mountains.
His circumstances would seem pretty hopeless if you ask me. Jonah endured quite the traumatic brush with death, yet the Lord rescued him and had mercy on him.
And in the the belly of a fish, he cried out in repentance and thanksgiving declaring his loyalty to the Lord.
"When I felt my life slipping away, then, O Lord, I prayed to you,
and in your holy Temple you heard me.
Those who worship worthless idols have abandoned their loyalty to you.
But I will sing praises to you;
I will offer you a sacrifice and do what I have promised.
Salvation comes from the Lord!"
Jonah 2: 7-9 (GNB)
Jonah tried turning his back on God, but that didn't thwart God's plan in the least. The Lord knew what it would take to reach him and change his heart, and He pursued Jonah until Jonah was ready to do God's work.
I'm thankful I don't have a literal understanding of what it's like to be sinking into the depths of the ocean with seaweed entangling around my head, but perhaps we can all relate on some level to running from God. It doesn't even have to be the big stuff in life...for me it can be as simple as not calling a friend when she's on my heart, or choosing sleep over time with Him, or not responding out of love and patience to my husband or children. He's called us to live and act in a certain way, and when we don't follow His guidance for our lives, we'll end up like Jonah...thrashing about, sinking, separating ourselves from Him, desperately longing for closeness again.
We wouldn't choose sinking in the ocean so why do we choose sinking in life?
Lord, have mercy on us. Please never stop pursuing us. Help us not worship worthless idols, whatever they may be. When we turn our backs on you, compel us to repent and turn from our selfish ways. Help us follow you and your direction for our lives, and not become entangled in our sin. Thank you for sending a Rescuer to lead us to dry land. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment