Monday, December 15, 2014

Anniversary Getaway

I had been wanting to stay at the St. Croix River Inn for literally years, but it fills up so quickly in the fall that by the time we remembered to book a stay there was no availability. I knew our time would come and 2014 was the year! Mimi and Papa graciously gave up their weekend amidst a crazy busy fall schedule and came up to stay with the kids so we could get away. Tom is always the instigator of these trips because I'm hesitate to leave the kids (I was still nursing Conrad when we decided to book), but I'm so thankful he finds it important and pushes for it. We had the perfect weather and the most relaxing weekend. We went on a Saturday and Sunday night so had Monday to enjoy together as well since Papa had taken the kids to daycare so we wouldn't have to rush home. We had a Jacuzzi tub and watched movies and caught up on Survivor. Did I mention it was relaxing?!

This is our attempt at a selfie down by the river.
Just as we were finishing up our very unsuccessful attempt, a woman approaches us and offers to take it for us. We took her up on that and she was all about giving us some direction and offering tips ("turn this way"), which as a photographer I can appreciate. Then with such great excitement she says, "Oh! I have an idea you guys!" and has us do the below picture.

She got a bit closer to for a different effect.
I wasn't going to tell her that I was a photographer myself (she was just getting started in the business) b/c I didn't want to rain on her parade or make her feel self conscious, but then Tom had to go and tell her right at the end. 

Either way, we attempted another selfie (this is important you guys) at a different, more evenly lit location and we were much happier with the outcome. I do appreciate the symbolism of the hands shaped in a heart on the belly idea, but it's not really my personal style. :)

WE LOVE FALL IN MINNESOTA!!
The beautiful view from our little patio outside of our room.
Wine and cheese happy hour...

We were the only people to show up and thoroughly enjoyed that cheese!
We decided to celebrate our first night with a personal 5-course meal served right there at the B&B. The food wasn't to die for, but it was quite lovely and romantic and we just enjoyed the time to sit and talk while taking in the beautiful view before the sun set.
Course 1
Course 2
Course 3
Course 4
And my favorite...course 5
The next morning, they delivered our beverages and warm pastries 30 minutes before our hot meal arrived. 
We spent the afternoon antique shopping and then drove to a local winery for live music and wine tasting. 

This pizza was incredible....maple roasted sweet potatoes, pancetta, blue cheese, aged parmesan and asiago cheese blend with a maple syrup drizzle.

Um....I'll take two please. 
Tom enjoying his wine for the both of us.
We decided to do dinner in and picked up some apples, cheese, crackers, smoked salmon, popcorn and root beer. 

Does it get better than that?! 

It was hard to beat.
Another great breakfast!
Loved this weekend and this man! He takes such great care of me, and has such a tender, forgiving, patient, humble heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment