Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Snowed In

This weekend was something else! Definitely our worst snowstorm since I've lived here (4 years.) We had stayed the night in Hastings at my brother's, and after running some errands once we got back to Woodbury (which was just plain silly of us considering people were getting stuck left and right, but hey - we needed milk and eggs!) we finally - 2 hours later - made our way home to find our driveway like this. What you can't really see is the 2' of snow that had fallen. We HAD to get my CR-V in the garage because the plows would be coming, so whether we liked it or not, we started shoveling. And our driveway isn't exactly short (at least not for a townhome with owners who don't own a snowblower.) It was one of those things that you just had to laugh at otherwise you'd cry.  (I'm very emotional right now.)
What I saw when I opened the garage door...I had no choice but to walk through this with my thin sweatpants and tennis shoes on to get to the house to even GET IN my snow pants. Again, I was laughing.
Welcome to our house! Come on in! *smile.
This drift was as tall as me. By the way, do you all take your hanging baskets/pots down once winter hits? I feel like I should have done that, but it's a little late now. And I really don't care that much....

The next morning...
So Sunday rolls around. We haven't left the house. We spend most of the day in our pj's registering online for baby stuff, which was awesome (the pj part, not the deciding what our first born will actually need. So much pressure and too many options!) We figure we should bundle up and head out to start shoveling - again - around 2:30 pm and that for sure our driveway has been plowed by then. (They didn't get it plowed until close to 6:00 that night...)

(My college friends should appreciate my Columbia 4-n-1 hood. That thing was a life saver when you were walking across campus and I wore it very proudly.)

And p.s. Children's XL snowpants don't fit when you're 6 months pregnant.
We shoveled for an hour - honestly life is so much easier and better when you have a partner to tackle stuff with. Just another reason why I LOVE being married. Some of the drifts were up to my waist so I had to do it in layers, and it's really great having a tall husband who can throw the snow b/c I just couldn't lift and throw it that high. I am sounding dramatic. It wasn't really that bad, but there was just SO much of it. Good exercise though.

King of the mountain!
Oops, can't get out.
Here's to hoping we don't see another blizzard like that this winter!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, that is INSANE! I can't believe you guys shoveled all of that. Good exercise indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love the 4-in-1 hood! I still have mine from college too. :) It really was a life saver walking across campus. The amount of snow you have is crazy! We hardly have anything here, but I'm sure it will be here soon enough. Great pics!!

    ReplyDelete